Wednesdays Are For Cappuccinos

Image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

Today is National Cappuccino Day, a delightful celebration of one of the most beloved coffee beverages around the world with its rich espresso base, hot steamed milk, and foamy milk topping. Whether you prefer it as a morning pick-me-up, an afternoon indulgence, or a night-warming beverage, cappuccinos are adored by many coffee enthusiasts. These fresh cappuccinos bring in a whole new world of hot steamed flavors including: vanilla, chocolate, caramel, peppermint, raspberry, and cinnamon, in addition to many other flavors.

Although this coffee beverage is enjoyed around the world, Italy is famous for producing this housewarming cappuccino in the 1900s. Marco d’Aviano, an Italian Capuchin, is rumored to have been the inventor of this delectable refreshment following the battle of Vienna, however, the drink is suspected to have been in existence for much longer. Beginning in the 1700s, cappuccinos were known as “Kapuzinersm” describing the drink as “coffee with cream and sugar.” Later, this became “cappuccino,” derived from the Capuchin friars, a religious order known for their distinctive brown hooded robes. The color of the cappuccino resembled the color of the friar’s robes, causing many people to nickname the drink “a cappuccino.”

Today, this famous beverage can be found throughout Grand Rapids and cities around the world. Some people have their own cappuccino machine at home, allowing them to brew themselves a fresh cup each morning. But if you do not have a personal coffee maker, many shops around Grand Rapids serve cappuccinos. For example, a popular coffee shop to find a cappuccino is Starbucks. Located around the world, Starbucks serves this classic coffee drink in a variety of flavors, allowing its customers to enjoy a drink catered to their own preferences. If you’re looking to celebrate Cappuccino Day, this is a great coffee shop to visit if you’re on the go. Or, if you’d prefer a sit-down experience, local coffee shops such as Brown Butter Creperie and Cafe, is another option. At this particular cafe, you can enjoy a delicious dessert along with your beverage! Whether you’re on-the-go, or have more time, cappuccinos are easily accessible throughout the city due to their popularity.

Overall, National Cappuccino Day is a delicious way to spend a Wednesday while trying new, hot-steamed flavors. Make sure to celebrate by making your own fresh cup at home, or treating yourself to a cafe trip!