Michigan Democrats Regain Control of the State House

Democrats Regain Their Trifecta
Michigan+State+House+of+Representatives+
Michigan State House of Representatives

Democrats have regained control of the Democratic Trifecta in the Michigan State Legislature. On Tuesday, April 23, 2024, the Democrats introduced their newly elected representatives to the rest of the legislature. Peter Herzberg and Mai Xiong both won special elections after two Democrats left their seats to become mayors. Both Herzberg and Xiong had to go through a democratic primary in late January. 

Xiong was one of Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer’s endorsed candidates. Herzberg was one of the candidates from House District 25 that Whitmer did not endorse. 

The candidates were sworn in on Tuesday, April 30th, bringing the total makeup of the Michigan State House of Representatives to 56 Democrats to 54 Republicans.

House of Representatives Chamber in the Michigan Capitol Building in Lansing, MI. (Kasen Wooters)

For Democrats, this means all 3 levels of the Michigan State Legislature are back in control. Democrats won big in 2022, taking back both the House and the Senate for the first time in nearly 40 years. On top of that, Democratic Governor Gretchen Whitmer won her reelection campaign against Republican Tudor Dixon.

Democrats have been able to accomplish nearly any task they want with their trifecta, and now that the Republicans are out of the picture once again, the Democrats will shift their focus to passing the 2025 fiscal year budget which will include several new free services, and continue many programs started in the 2024 budget. Items such as free breakfast and lunch for school-aged students, universal free preschool, free childcare, and more gun safety legislation. 

All 110 state representatives have an important election on November 5th, 2024. Along with the presidential election, and senate race in Michigan, voters will decide who controls the state house, and how easily the Democrats in the state will be able to govern. 

Political mapping of Kent County, MI

Kent County is home to 10 state house seats, with Democrats holding 5 in the Grand Rapids Area. All of Grand Rapids’ Representatives are running for reelection except Rachel Hood of House District 81 (Grand Rapids Township/Ada MI). Democratic candidate and Kent County Commissioner Stephen Wooden is running against Republican Jordan Younquist for her seat in the house.