Hawk Herald

The Student News Site of Forest Hills Eastern High School

Hawk Herald

Hawk Herald

Nostalgic Children’s Books

C. VanHook

Introducing reading to children at a very young age is important for a variety of reasons. Whether the child is actually reading themselves or being read to, children’s exposure to books is important because it fosters their desire for knowledge, expands their vocabulary and imagination, teaches them the important morals from each story, and exposes them to a variety of beliefs, cultures, and lifestyles. That being said, here are some of the many popular children’s books I was raised on and thoroughly enjoyed. 

Short picture books:

Berenstain Bears by Jan and Stan Berenstain

• Through their life experiences, Papa and Mama Bear teach Brother and Sister Bear various life lessons in their scenic countryside village.
  • Each of these short children’s picture books teaches kids important morals, while also following an entertaining and relatable storyline.

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

• This short children’s book follows a caterpillar as he overindulges in a variety of foods until he eventually turns into a butterfly.
  • This story teaches children to avoid overconsumption and to eat healthy foods.

Dr. Seuss’ books 

• This classic children’s book author has published a variety of successful short stories such as Sneetches, Oh the Places You’ll Go, etc.
  • Each of Dr. Seuss’ books provides kids with valuable life advice and teaches important morals through fictional species’ adventures and conflicts. These books also contain creative and wondrous pictures on every page illustrating the unique storylines.

Short chapter book series:

Roald Dahl books 

• Another classic children’s book author, Roald Dahl has published iconic children’s short novels such as James and the Giant Peach, Matilda, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, etc.
  • You may recognize many of these titles from their popular movie adaptations, such as Gene Wilder’s Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.
  • These creative and imaginative novellas teach readers a variety of morals while expanding their imaginations with creative imagery and storylines.

Geronimo Stilton and Thea Stilton by Elisabetta Dami

• Mouse detectives Geronimo and Thea Stilton solve various mysteries, typically alongside the help of their friends.
  • These novellas build children’s curiosity and observation skills through entertaining, action-filled stories.

I Survived by Laura Tarshis

• These short children’s chapter books teach readers about different important historical disasters, from the adventurous perspective of fictional kids who experienced them.
  • Not only do these novellas teach children about impactful historical events, but they also entertain readers with their suspenseful plots.

Overall, it is important to acknowledge that there are many great children’s books for young readers to explore and use to expand their knowledge and imagination. While I couldn’t include all of my favorite, nostalgic children’s books on the list above, I included a list below for further children’s book recommendations. (Please note that the following books are meant for early readers and young children, so please do not be offended if I did not include your favorite novels.)

Other short books I recommend: 

The Stinky Cheese Man, The Little Red Hen, Click Clack Moo, The Gingerbread Man, No David!, The Little Old Lady, Amelia Bedelia, Chrysanthemum, Angelina, Olivia, Fancy Nancy, Matilda, Eloise, My Baby You’ll Be (love you forever), The Great Fuzz Frenzy, Pout-Pout Fish, Rainbow Fish, Pinkilicious, Strega Nona, Stone Soup, A Tree Named Steve, The Giving Tree, Magic Treehouse, Thistle, If You Give a Pig a Pancake and If you Give a Mouse a Cookie, Put me in the Zoo, Are you my Mother, Little Bear, Tops and Bottoms, A Bad Case of the Strips, Corduroy, Caps for Sale, No more Monkeys Jumping on the Bed, Curious George, Alexander, and the Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day, Goodnight Moon, Chicks Chicks Boom Boom, Where the Wild Things Are, Room on the Broom, Down by the Bay, Tractor Mac, A Little Golden… books

Other short chapter book series I recommend:

Rainbow Fairy, A-Z Mysteries, Who Was, Wayside Sideways Stories, Dork Diaries, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Junie B. Jones.