Hawk Herald

The Student News Site of Forest Hills Eastern High School

Hawk Herald

Hawk Herald

National Pizza Day

Uber eats
    Uber eats

Pizza is one of the most popular foods in the world. Originating from Italy, pizza has become a favorite meal for many due to its delicious combination of dough, cheese, and toppings. This delectable dish is loved for its versatility and shareability; it’s great for feeding a crowd at parties, a fun night in with friends, or a simple meal for a solo night in. As a comforting and indulgent food that evokes happy memories for many, pizza can be found everywhere from local pizzerias to fast-food chains and fine dining restaurants. It’s a staple comfort food that appeals to people of all ages and backgrounds, making it a universal favorite. With its delicious flavors and endless variations, pizza is truly a delight that brings people together, especially on February 9: National Pizza Day.

Pizza has been around for years and nothing can compare. Not only is pizza a great meal for larger gatherings, but it also provides everyone with satisfaction. This meal can satiate anyone’s hunger with its classic flavor profile: a base of dough, topped with tangy tomato sauce, followed by a generous amount of delicious melted cheese. From this base, toppings can be added to create and invent a large variety of flavor profiles and cater to numerous tastes.

Whether you love a classic or want something new, pizza is there for you. Some examples of toppings you can add include: pepperoni, mushrooms, sausage, ham, broccoli, chicken, green bell peppers, cilantro, meatballs, bacon, green olives, pineapple, onions, anchovies, garlic, jalapenos, tomatoes, spinach, black olives, salami, and banana peppers. There’s a topping for everyone.

Additionally, as if these customizable toppings aren’t enough or you can’t make a decision, pizza brings in some of its most loved flavors to help you order. Some popular types are pepperoni, Hawaiian, deluxe, supreme, barbeque, and cheese. Not only are the toppings interchangeable, but the crust is as well. You can order your pizza with a thin crust, deep-dish style, stuffed, flavored, or simply classic. This brings another flavor aspect to the meal as the delicious crust elevates your eating experience.

As pizza has spread and traveled around the world, there are also different styles of how this is prepared. There is Chicago Style, where the toppings go directly on the crust with the sauce going last. This is a type of pizza that has a more hollowed-out type of crust with all of its toppings piled inside. Another type of pizza is the New York style. This pizza is identifiable by its thick, crispy crust edge that makes for a perfect crunch. And yet, the inner part of the crust is soft, yet firm, making it easy to fold in half and eat. New York-style pizza is typically served in large, wide slices, perfect for its characteristic fold.

Although pizza is usually served as a freshly baked hot entre, it hasn’t stopped people from wanting dessert pizzas as well. Between the end of World War II and the 1980s, fruit pizza became the starting idea for all of the dessert pizzas we have today. From hard candy to chocolate and fruity pizzas, this savory food made it across the globe. We now have cookie pizzas, M&M pizzas, fruit pizzas, and more!

As pizza began to grow, pizza shops started opening their doors. Some well-known and easily accessible pizza places include Jet’s Pizza, Pizza Hut, Dominos, Carluccis, Peppinos, Vitales, and hundreds more. Pizza has made its landing and created a day for everyone to enjoy this tasteful food, so be sure to take advantage of this!