National Titanic Remembrance Day

DeviantArt
    DeviantArt

As the spring beginning continues with the trees budding and flowers blooming, the rain begins to shower. The month of April brings showers to bring May flowers, however, April also holds an important day of remembrance. April 15th is National Titanic Remembrance Day.

As the rain of April leaves puddles on the ground, it’s important the one takes a moment to see a reflection in the water. This could be used to reflect on oneself, thinking internally about everyone’s lives. Similarly, it’s important to reflect on those who lost their lives on the Titanic.

The Titanic sank into the North Atlantic’s icy waters in 1912. Known as the “unsinkable ship,” the Titanic hit an iceberg at 11:40 pm on April 14, 1912. Later in the icy waters of the Atlantic Ocean, it was April 15 that the Titanic fully sank. We remember more than 1,500 people who lost their lives that day.

The Titanic was designed by naval architect, Thomas Andrews and constructed by the Belfast shipbuilders Harland and Wolff. Upon completion, it was thought to be the world’s fastest and largest ship of its time. It was the largest ocean boat in service and could carry 3,547 people in speed and comfort. The Titanic reciprocating engines were the largest that had ever been built, standing 40 feet high, and with cylinders that were nine feet in diameter. Its first-class compartment provided luxury, and the linear was designed to be the pinnacle of comfort and luxury, with a gymnasium, swimming pool, libraries, high-class restaurants, and even opulent cabins. But unfortunately, all this greatness did not last against the iceberg. A joint U.S.-French expedition later would locate the wreck of the Titanic lying on the ocean floor, at a depth of about 13,000 feet.

The disaster has been remembered for years and is still observed today. 85 years after the incident of the sinking of the Titanic, a movie was produced in 1997. Titanic was released to carry the ones who lost their lives that day on into the future. Titanic is a 1997 American romantic disaster film directed, written, produced, and co-edited by James Cameron. This movie is a historical and fictionalized version of the sinking of the Titanic ship, bringing the lives that were lost back into the picture. Starring Leonardo Dicaprio and Kate Winslet, the two actors portray young adults from different social classes who suddenly fall in love during the ship’s maiden voyage. Unfortunately, they face disaster and horrific views when the ship suddenly hits an iceberg, wrecking the ship and causing the Titanic to sink. A three-hour and fifteen-minute movie showed the love and determination that was set upon the Titanic.

Titanic Remembrance Day is important because it unites us, provides an avenue for connection, and strengthens history. There are many ways to observe Titanic Remembrance Day, either at home, at an event, or even going to see the Titanic wreck firsthand. Overall The wreck of the Titanic left a huge impact on society to this day and it is important to remember the ones on that ship to prevent devastating disasters repeat themselves.

Rawpixel
    GoodFon