Hawk Herald

The Student News Site of Forest Hills Eastern High School

Hawk Herald

Hawk Herald

National Spinach Day: Add in a Little Green

Image courtesy of PickPik.
    Image courtesy of PickPik.

On March 26th each year, National Spinach Day reminds everyone of the health benefits packed into this leafy green vegetable. Not only are there many delicious ways that you can enjoy spinach, but there’s a large number of good resources from spinach that are good for the human body. It can be difficult to tie in something beneficial for one’s health with delicious foods, but spinach allows for an easy way to do so. Due to its ability to be eaten raw or cooked, it makes for an easy way to coordinate this green vegetable in at least one meal or even a quick on-the-go supplement; spinach is a must for everyone. It may not seem the most appealing but these benefits and ways to coordinate spinach in one’s meal will make you think twice about skipping spinach day. 

It’s important to know where the produce comes from and even where it originated before adding it to an everyday supplement. Overall, spinach is a great source as it is an annual plant; spinach grows natively in central and southwestern Asia and began to originate in Persia more than 2000 years ago. Presently, spinach is now found all around the world. While able to grow year-round, in the the Americas this vegetable grows best during the cooler seasons when the sun is still shining, but the soil is well-drained. There are many types of spinach, all of which depend on the level of savoryness. The more savory kinds contain dark green curly leaves, and producers usually sell this in fresh bunches. Another type of spinach is flat or smooth. This spinach is easily recognizable by its broad smooth leaves; this type is mainly grown for canned or frozen spinach, soups, baby foods, and processed foods. Lastly, semi-savory has crinkly leaves and has more texture than other types of spinach. This specific spinach is usually sold fresh.

Despite each type of spinach having different uses, all spinach is rich in iron, Vitamin C and E, potassium, and magnesium. Spinach offers a low-calorie, low-fat source of nutrients that can protect against diseases. Spinach has a variety of antioxidants, including carotenoids. From this natural chemicals are released, which protect not only the plant itself, but also those who consume it, from bacteria, fungi, parasites, and viruses. Yet another health benefit is lowering blood pressure. The high potassium levels relax the blood vessels which in turn lowers blood pressure; it also helps the kidneys get rid of any extra sodium. Spinach carries a wide variety of benefits that should be included in your everyday diet.

If these benefits don’t make everyone race to the nearest grocery store, the easy ways to incorporate it into your meal will. Blending spinach into a smoothie is not only a quick and easy way to invite this vegetable into your diet, but it helps improve mental clarity, mood, hydration, and promotes natural weight loss. Make sure to add some spinach into your meatloaf next time you make it to include a hidden vegetable. Or stir some fresh spinach into a stir-fry, or even top off your pizza with it! There are so many ways to contribute this vegetable into your daily life. Overall, spinach can be an easy thing to sneak into your diet, so celebrate National Spinach Day to bring awareness to this superhero of a vegetable.