National November

Alicia Bruce
    Image courtesy of Colt Chronicle.

As the month of November begins, we slowly bid farewell to the fall season. The final leaves are dropping and the days are growing shorter; it’s time to slow down and reflect on the year that’s making its way to an end. November is a month full of 134 national holidays that celebrate everything from food to family to important causes. But what exactly are these national holidays and celebrations that occur in November?

In the United States, the major holiday of the month is Thanksgiving, a time for families and friends to gather and have a big dinner together. It is one of the most celebrated holidays in the U.S. and takes place on the fourth Thursday of November. Although the original Thanksgiving celebration for the United States is remembered to be hosted between the pilgrims and Native Americans, it didn’t become an official national holiday until 1863 when former president Abraham Lincoln declared it one. Following the Union victory at Gettysburg, Lincoln proclaimed November 26 — or the fourth Thursday of November — to be a national day of feasting and giving. 

In addition to one of the more popular holidays in November, Veterans Day is extremely important. In the United States, November 11 is celebrated as a day to remember and honor America’s both current and fallen soldiers. However, in other areas around the world, this day is called Armistice Day to reflect on the soldiers who lost their lives in World War I and commemorate the armistice signed between the Allies and Germany.

Besides the two holidays mentioned above, there are many other national days to be recognized and celebrated as well. For example, the first day of November is All Saints Day, a day to honor saints and martyrs, both known and unknown, who have died. Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) is another national celebration for the deceased loved ones. Typically more associated with Mexican heritages, this holiday traditionally occurs on November 1 and 2, giving families time to remember, honor, and reunite with loved ones. Further into November, there’s National Stress Awareness Day, National Vanilla Cupcake Day, Independence Day, National Pickle Day, and several others.

While most holidays last only a day or two, some months are dedicated to specific causes. For example, November is known as National Adoption Awareness Month, a month-long observance to both raise awareness about the need for adoptive families and celebrate families who have adopted.

Following the month of November, December ushers in many other celebrations and holidays along with a biting chill. But before the wintery excitement begins, be sure to remember the national days November provides. Be appreciative and show gratitude to all throughout the end of Fall.