The Purpose Of Fall Break

The General Journal

We’re approaching the second half of October and fall is quickly reaching its end. The leaves continue to change colors and blow peacefully with the wind, but the long, cold winter days are reaching us, as fall is quietly transitioning. Before we miss the season, fall break is four days away, getting us ready for a fun four-day weekend. Don’t waste the break, make the best of it you can. But what exactly is fall break and why was it instituted this year?

Fall break is a short break towards the end of October and typically seen with colleges and universities. But this small intermission is now making its way into high school schedules.

This fall recess is important for many reasons. One such is providing students an academic break so they can spend time with their family and friends. During the school season, it’s harder for loved ones to make time for group events and seeing one another; this short, but impactful break, provides people with the perfect opportunity to visit their loved ones. Another reason fall break is in place is to help students relax, giving them the opportunity to do what they would enjoy. With the stress of classes and academia, free time is a rare commodity to come across, leaving people little time to engage in their hobbies. So why exactly is fall break necessary when there are weekends at the end of the five-day school schedule?

Fall break, or any break in general, is impactful. Although weekends are available, this short two-day break makes it hard for people who need to travel to spend a few days with family. These weekends also make it difficult for those wanting to take a family vacation, whereas a four-day break allows more time to plan and coordinate a small trip. Breaks from school don’t just benefit traveling, they are also beneficial to students mentally. It’s proven that a couple days off of school decreases stress while also increasing young adults and children’s productivity. It’s a great way for young adults and children to refocus.

Although fall break has its advantages like giving students mental breaks and personal time, it has disadvantages due to how short the break is. Some would find it as the perfect amount of time to get things done, but others find it challenging and cluttered compared to other breaks such as, mid-winter, summer, and spring break which contain weeks off. Some believe that fall break is awkwardly placed within the month of October due to it lasting only four days. In fact, some people have argued that mid fall break should be longer like the other breaks listed above to give people more time for their plans. 

Overall, it’s a hate-love relationship when it comes to mid-fall break. Despite everyone having individual opinions, fall break is a nice time, whether it be for visiting, traveling, or simply relaxing.