The Taylor Swift Equation: How the Star has Made Waves in the Sports World

Taylor+Swift+performing+in+Sydney%2C+Australia++
Eva Rinaldi
Taylor Swift performing in Sydney, Australia

The New York Jets came up a bit short against the Super Bowl, the Kansas City Chiefs, on Sunday Night Football, with the final score falling 23-20. By all means, it should have been a must-see game on TV, and even better for the fans at MetLife Stadium. After all, it’s not every day that Patrick Mahomes, Travis Kelce, and company are in the Big Apple. However, throughout the game, it almost seemed as if half the stadium was focused on something else — Taylor Swift. News of the popular singer and Travis Kelce has spread like wildfire, captivating sports media and fans throughout the nation with their recent developments in a relationship. However, as quickly as this fascination started, will it last?

Many sports pundits and media members make outrageous claims to get attention or discuss topics that stretch the interview just for extra views. Despite this, it’s obvious that Taylor Swift has trumped all headlines these past couple of weeks. It was revealed recently that Travis Kelce attended a Taylor Swift concert, where the two apparently hung out. Later, rumors began to fly about the two dating. Like pouring fuel on the fire, Travis’s brother, Jason Kelce, then playfully engaged with the rumors as well. The shocking news would be confirmed that the two were dating after Taylor Swift attended her first NFL game as Kelce and the Chiefs played the Bears in Kansas City. The following media and fan-talking storm that has ensued about the couple is unlike anything ever seen in the sports world. 

The combination of sports and Swifties never seemed like a likely match, but here we are; the effect has been seen league-wide in the NFL. Swift has attended two games so far, the Chiefs vs. Bears, and Chiefs vs. Jets on Sunday Night Football. The Chiefs vs. Jets game averaged 27 million viewers. This total viewer count is the greatest it has been since the Chiefs played the Eagles in the Super Bowl last year. While that in itself is shocking, that’s not all. Swift has had an even greater impact on female viewership of the NFL during the games she has attended. According to deadline.com, the NFL saw an increase in viewership from girls ages 12-17 by 53%, among women ages 18-24 by 24%, and women over 35 by 34%.

The NFL also loved the marketing opportunity that Swift has provided, and they haven’t been subtle about it. During NBC’s broadcast, according to totalprosports.com, NBC panned to Taylor Swift 17 times; that is more than what an injured Aaron Rodgers, who also attended the game in Metlife Stadium, received. 

Another impact of this new relationship is on Travis Kelce; the eight-time Pro-Bowler and four-time first-team All-Pro selection, who is widely considered one of the best tight ends of all time, has now been thrust into the spotlight. However, this isn’t Kelce’s first time under the public’s watchful eye. Along with the popular podcast he produces with his brother Jason, Travis has always been an outspoken player on and off the field, even having his own reality TV show for a while. However the “Taylor Swift effect” has taken ahold of his social status as well. According to NPR, Kelce’s jersey sales have shot up 400% and became one of the top 5 selling jerseys last week.

Who knows if the power couple’s relationship will last. However, for now, everybody seems to be taking notice of it; from Swifties to sports fanatics, the world has its eyes directed on “Traylor.”