Hawk Herald

The Student News Site of Forest Hills Eastern High School

Hawk Herald

Hawk Herald

The First Two Days of NFL Free Agency

A quick dive into the choas that has reigned
Image Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Free agency just opened in the NFL this past Monday, allowing players to make decisions on who they will play for or if they wish to switch teams. This caused a shake-up in the NFL landscape. When week one of the NFL season comes around in September, things will definitely be looking different for several teams, while others are seemingly unaffected. Let’s take a look at the past couple of days of the 2024 NFL free agency.

To start off the changes, we’ll start off with a team who experienced none. The Dallas Cowboys have done nothing with this new news. But despite their inaction, several other running backs have changed teams. One of the notable signings includes Saquon Barkley, who signed with the New York Giants’ biggest rival — the Philadelphia Eagles — for a three year deal worth over 37 million dollars. Another big name running back that has switched teams is Josh Jacobs, who signed a four-year contract with the Green Bay Packers worth $48 million.

In order to sign Jacobs to their team however, the Packers had to make space for him by releasing star running back Aaron Jones. Jones went on to make a contract with the Minnesota Vikings. This deal is for one year, but worth $7 million. The changes for teams doesn’t end here however. Yet another running back has signed with a different team. Derrick Henry has made a two-year deal worth $16 million with the Baltimore Ravens. Around $9 million is guarenteed with his signing, while another $4 million may be given as bonus incentives.

Not everyone has signed new contracts and deals however. Some have been traded. One of the biggest trades was done between the Cincinnati Bengals and Houston Texans. Joe Mixon was traded to the Texans, and in exchange, Cincinnati gets draft pics.

Running backs have also been a huge part of the free agency. Longtime quarterback of the Minnesota Vikings, Kirk Cousins, just signed a four year deal worth $180 million. With $90 million of it guaranteed, this is an amazing deal. The Vikings then signed a new quarterback after Cousins deal. Sam Darnold has now joined the Vikings with a contract worth $10 million.

Most of the quarterbacks that are free agents this year played as a backup role, such as Jamesis Winston, Gardner Minshew, and Marcus Mariota. Winston recently signed with the Cleveland Browns for a one year role worth $1 million. Similarly, Mariota then signed with the Washington Commanders on a one year deal worth $6 million.

While there are a few changes mentioned in this article, there are even more that have occurred. This years’ free agency has caused the NFL landscape to change drastically. When September rolls around, it will be interesting to see how these changes turn out.