Kings of the Court: Easterns Basketball Rec League

Basketball+laying+on+the+driveway+of+an+American+household.+
Matt Moloney
Basketball laying on the driveway of an American household.

Sweat burns on the face as the ball is dribbled up the court, the student’s trying to find the open man. Players whizz by left and right, even Eastern’s very own Mr. Mcgee is getting in on the action this Wednesday afternoon after school. Finally, the student drives to the bucket, spinning and weaving their way through traffic to get the net. One team takes a sigh of relief. They have won. But the action doesn’t stop, as other teams look to get their chance on the court. Eastern students run in the gym as they are excited to get the chance to play their own basketball game with a team. This is the opportunity Eastern’s Basketball Rec League will provide for students as spring flowers blossom: a chance to be on the court.

This is the vision founder Quinten Powers (‘24) had when setting up the Eastern Basketball Rec League, a place where all levels of competition could compete in a sport that is very competitive here at Eastern. Powers envisions the Rec League being a place where over 30 students would have the ability to play full-court games and cultivate a competitive fire that can help students both on and off the court. Teams would be the same throughout the Rec League season, with each one having corresponding penny jerseys to match. One of the most important ideas that Quinten wanted to incorporate was the idea that this club would be available for all skill levels, while still maintaining competitiveness on all fronts. This can foster an environment that will have a healthy competitive nature, that is open for all students.

As for logistics, Powers will make it easy for the Eastern Rec league to get started here in the spring. He has enlisted the help of one of the teachers here at Eastern, Tim Mcgee, who teaches in the history department along with other studies as well. Mcgee has promised to help not only with setting it up, but also plans to participate in it as well, adding to the competitive yet friendly nature. Powers has already gotten approval from the administration, and the club is planned to start this spring on Wednesdays after school. Basketball itself has always been a competitive game with the ability to bring people together from all walks of life. Now, with this new club getting ready to open up, this fun game opens itself to even more players.

Quinten has also made a promo for the Rec League on ETV, using his video editing and creating skills to advertise this new and exciting club. People who will be Rec League regulars will feature in the video. They’ll show off their skills with jump shots and dunks alike. This Rec League will give others the ability to not only show off their skills, but build on those in a way that will be intense with passion but also with friendly welcoming faces. The message of inclusivity, a athletics, and kindness easily makes this one of the best new clubs Eastern students should consider joining.