Hawk Herald

The Student News Site of Forest Hills Eastern High School

Hawk Herald

Hawk Herald

Life of a Marching Band Trooper

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to play an instrument in a high school marching band?

Imagine you’re out on a hot, sunny, August day at band camp. The summer sun is beating down on you as you repeat marching formations, drilling their steps into memory. Then, when fall hits and the football season begins, you’re out on the cold, wet field playing your instrument to cheer on the players and entertain the crowd. By the time the game is over, you’re exhausted from your grueling music performance while wearing a collection of heavy clothes; well that’s the life of Ari Rose, a 10th grader in Eastern’s marching band.

Ari joined the band when she was in 8th grade and fell in love with it, later deciding to continue playing in high school and join the Eastern marching band. While some may think this extracurricular is simple, it is one of the most rigorous ones offered. One factor that causes the marching band to be one of the hardest extracurriculars, is how meticulous their drills tend to be.

According to Ari, “It’s a little daunting, but it’s also very fun. It’s tiring, we drill a lot and we do it for a long time.” Despite all of this, Ari is working exceedingly hard to continue to succeed. “It’s worth it though because the band community is so positive and I love to play the clarinet.” Ari was inspired to play the clarinet by her mother, who played both the clarinet and oboe. With her mom playing both instruments, Ari knew that one would be her ultimate choice; the clarinet later became the clear choice for Ari. The people who inspired her to join the marching band include her mom and former band director, Mr. Boelkins. She’s excited to continue being a part of the marching band, which is now led by the new director Mr. Langejens. He has filled the shoes of the recently retired Mr. Boelkins, or as he’s known to the band, Grandpa Boelkins.

Some people may wonder about the appeal of marching band, but they must stop to consider the sensation that playing might give off to individuals who play an instrument or the joy it brings to those hearing the beautiful sounds of art it makes. Looking from this perspective, it’s simple to see why people choose to pursue participation in the marching band. Make sure to cheer them on at their performances!