EDM Music from the 1990s: A Retrospective

A Look at the EDM Scene in the 1990s

EDM music has been around for much longer than what most people would think. While some parents may feel as though EDM music is loud and disruptive, the classic EDM music is quite the opposite. Contrary to what it has evolved into and become known for, EDM has a large variety of sub genres. 

Currently, there are many subgenres of EDM such as: House, Dubstep, Wave, Techno, Trance, Drum and Bass, Trap, Breakbeat, and Electro. However, as these genres gain popularity from current high school students who like EDM, in order to truly understand and appreciate EDM music, one must look into the past when it was still relatively new. 

Let’s go back to the 90s and see what the EDM Scene looked like. In the early 90s, EDM wasn’t well known in the United States. It hadn’t quite reached the scene, but that did not mean it did not exist. Instead, the songs that were produced and released during this time were from Europe. Due to DJ remixing not being known in United States, the music in Europe was vastly different.

In the 1990s, the demand for live performances skyrocketed, and with it, the popularity of DJs.

In Europe, there were a few DJs who would perform on the fly, mixing simple melodies and beats. By doing so, they would create a beat, throw it on a turntable, and create other variations, bringing to life a new sound that hadn’t previously been around.

One notable example of an EDM song is “Blue” by Eiffel 65. Some other classic 90s EDM songs consist of “Be My Lover” by La Bouche, “Around the World” by Daft Punk, “I Like to Move It” by the Mad Stuntman, “What is Love” by Haddaway, “L’Amour Toujours” by Gigi D’Agostino, “Mr Vain 2003” by Culture Beat, and “Barbie Girl” by Aqua. While they’re still well-known and popular today, many people don’t associate them with being some of the first EDM songs. These classics found American fame by being played in nightclubs around the country, sparking a rise in attention to this style.

Not all classic EDM songs found fame through clubs though; other songs that gained fame are more known as “Stadium Anthems.” Some songs that fall under this category include: “Get Ready For This” and “Twilight Zone” by 2 Unlimited, “Kernkraft 400” by Zombie Nation, “Sandstorm” by Darude, “The Power” by Snap and Whoomp!, and “There It Is” by Tag Team. These songs share a common theme of being featured at sporting events. 

Even though most people don’t know these tunes by name, they are easily recognizable when they are played. So give the songs I listed a listen, you might be surprised by them, and find yourself learning more about the EDM world