Boys Basketball Senior Night

This Friday, February 23 is the last home game Eastern’s boys’ basketball teams will play for the 2023-24 season. The Hawks take on the Ottawa Hills Bengals at 7 pm. This game marks the first time the Hawks and Bengals will meet following their last nail-biter of a game, which concluded with a narrow win by the Bengals, as the Hawks lost by one point. The Hawks go into the Ottawa Hills game with a 10-12 record, following their 64-49 win against Cedar Springs on Tuesday. This Friday will be the Hawks’ senior night, so make sure to show up to support the senior players and celebrate the hard work they’ve put into both their academics and athletics throughout their years in high school. 

The Hawks’ last home game also marks the last time seniors Julian Zolenski and Jackson Ueland will commentate for an Eastern sporting event. Julian and Jackson made history as the first students to commentate for Eastern sporting events two years ago; since then, they have commentated dozens of games, from football to boys basketball. When asked about what commentating has meant to him, Julian stated that “commenting has always been a passion of mine…Eastern provided me with the rare opportunity to do so.” Julian hopes to pursue commentating in the future, while Jackson sees commentating as more of a hobby and hopes to pursue finance. When thinking back on their time commentating, Julian, accompanied by Jackson, said that “we were able to create something out of an interest and make it long-lasting,” as the two commentators plan to pass the torch to younger students for future years to enjoy. 

Similarly, this last home game marks the final time Nolan Ferguson (Ferg) (’24) will display his lights show for an Eastern basketball game. Ferg began his light shows at a very young age and had his first opportunity to showcase it during his sophomore year of high school at a boys’ basketball game. This quickly became a tradition, with Ferg creating halftime and introductory lights shows for both the girls’ and boys’ basketball games the following years. When looking back on his time creating and displaying his lights shows, Ferg said that he is “beyond grateful to Mr. Sherman for allowing me to not only run the lights, but also express myself in some of the unique effects I made with it.” He also expressed how he “will always be thankful for that opportunity” as he looks to the future. Next year, Ferg plans to study Theatre Design and Technology, including lighting, at Western Michigan University. 

Don’t forget to show up to support the Hawks boys’ basketball team’s senior night as they take on the Bengals at home at 7 on Friday the 23rd. Also, watch for Ferg’s lights; however, if you can’t make it to the game, make sure to tune in to Julian and Jackson’s live broadcast as they commentate the likely head-to-head game.