Recommended Electives

rawpixel.com
School Supplies, free public domain CC0 image.

This previous week, 8th through 11th graders signed up for their next year’s courses. As students get older, take their required courses, and advance through the education system, they are allowed more freedom in their schedules for electives. Following the students’ class decisions for the 2024-25 school year, here are the elective classes that Eastern’s seniors recommend to other students. 

History vs. Hollywood

• In this elective, students are given the opportunity to learn information about the filmmaking process and techniques, while also learning the history behind the events portrayed through film. Throughout this course, students study a variety of time periods and major events throughout history, ranging from the Samurai Rebellion to World War II.
  • This one-semester class is a favorite of all who have taken it or are currently taking it. Never has there been a student who disliked History vs. Hollywood as their elective and numerous seniors recommend it to others because the class provides students with a fun and engaging environment to learn in.
  • It’s currently taught by Mr. Wysocki, who does a wonderful job of making the class fun, engaging, and entertaining.

Media Communications

• Media Communications is a project-based one-semester class in which students learn the process behind filmmaking as well as information on the different kinds of cinema. Students learn everything from how to use video editing software to how to create a smooth transition between scenes.
  • If students have an aspiration to join Eastern’s broadcasting class, ETV, Media Communications is a necessary prerequisite.
  • Media Communications is the perfect class for anyone who enjoys cinema and creative projects, as well as anyone who wants to learn more about the filmmaking process. Mrs. Hebel, the director and teacher of this class helps students through the learning process by assigning fun and collaborative video projects!

KCTC

• Another amazing opportunity Eastern offers students is KCTC. With programs ranging from engineering to human services to arts and communication, KCTC teaches students career readiness and provides them with experience in their future career fields.
  • KCTC is perfect for any student who is already passionate about what career they would like to have in the future. This is available for junior and senior students only.

Psychology

• Psychology is the perfect elective for students who are curious about and interested in learning more about how and why the human mind and body function the way that they do. In this class, students delve into the science behind everything from dreams to mental disorders. 
  • If you are curious about how the mind functions, what causes an individual’s actions, and any other curiosities having to do with an individual’s mind, then you should consider taking psychology as an elective.
  • AP Psychology is also an offered course; this full-year class goes more in-depth about various aspects of psychology compared to the one-semester class.

Sociology

• Passionately taught by Ms. Ahmicasaube, sociology teaches students the science and patterns of social life and its impact on humans’ actions and behavior, all while creating their own wonderful community within the classroom.
  • If you are interested in learning more about why societies function the way that they do and the science behind human interactions, then sociology is the right elective for you.

Journalism/Writing for Publication 

• This class teaches students what it is like to write for a credible news site and the responsibility of publishing on a deadline. Students are required to write one article a week, which is then published on Eastern’s news website, the Hawk Herald.
  • Journalism also allows students the freedom to write articles about topics they are passionate about and wish to share with their community.
  • This elective is unique in that Writing for Publication is a one-semester class; however, if students enjoy the class and wish to continue their involvement with the Hawk Herald, then they may take Advanced Writing for Publication for another semester, as well as continuing this course throughout all four years in high school!
  • If you enjoy writing and wish to explore it further, then journalism is the perfect class for you.

While not all of the available electives are listed here, these are some of the senior class favorites! However, you can find more elective options and information by visiting the Eastern school website and browsing the course guide!