A Historic Lions Win

@allproreels

This previous Sunday, January 14th, the Lions won their first playoff game in 32 years. This marked the end of the longest playoff losing streak in the entire NFL. Many Lions fans were visibly happy after the game, as the cameras panned to grown men crying in the stands. This historic game meant a lot to both the franchise and the Lions fanbase as many fans have not been alive to see the Lions win a playoff game before, or can barely recall the last time they did. 

Before the game, Detroit-native, Eminem, otherwise known as The Real Slim Shady, introduced the game, explaining its importance and the magnitude of the game’s possible outcome. The Lions started the game out strong with a 14-3 lead in the first quarter, although their momentum slowed later in the game, only scoring 3 points in the entire second half. Despite the Rams’ attempts to come back in the second half, the Lions ultimately had what it took to defeat the Rams 24-23.

The Lions finished out the regular season with a winning record of 12-5, winning the NFC North and earning themselves a first-round home playoff game, neither of which had occurred since 1993 and 1994 respectively. Many credit the Lions’ newfound success to Dan Campbell, who took over the Lions’ head coaching position from Matt Patricia in 2021, and Brad Holmes, who has traded and drafted the Lions to the top. Since Dan Campbell has been head coach, each and every aspect of the Lions team has visibly improved, ranging from team culture to play-calling. Additionally, Brad Holmes has assembled a young team, so there is loads of hope for future Lions’ successes.

Ironically, the Lions’ success comes after they traded their previous quarterback, Mathew Stafford to the Rams for the Rams’ previous quarterback Jared Goff. The trade occurred in 2021, with Mathew Stafford’s Rams winning the Super Bowl the following season. Prior to the Rams/Lions game, Mathew Stafford commented on the unusual circumstances of the game stating that he knew that he was coming into this game as the bad guy, but also mentioning how the Lions will always hold a special place in his heart. Although many fans rooted for Mathew and the Rams during their Super Bowl success, the fan base has embraced their new quarterback, Jared Goff as he led them to tie their most winningest season ever.

The Lions’ playoff win marks a good year for Michigan football after the University of Michigan defeated the Washington Huskies on January 8th, capping off their 15-0 season and winning the College Football National Championship, the university’s first national championship win since 1997.

Due to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers defeating the Carolina Panthers on January 7th, the Lions have another home playoff game this Sunday, January 21st at 3 pm; don’t forget to tune in to hopefully watch the Lions make further history.