Boys Varsity Basketball: An Exciting Beginning

Cam Pallo (’26) jumps into the air after the Hawks’ exciting win against the Lee High School Legends.

Last night at Eastern’s home gym, the Hawk’s boys’ varsity basketball team took on the Lee High School Legends at 7, marking the first game of the season. After starter Will Morgan (‘24) got injured at practice the night before the game, there were some doubts and worries amongst the team. However, quickly pulling together a plan, the team turned to their starters Drew Patten (‘24), Cam Kennet (‘26), Eega Natyl (‘26), Will Overbeek (‘25), and Adam Harvey (‘24) to carry their team to their first victory of the season. Both Drew and Cam also play as guards, while Adam doubles as a center. Adam Hardy led the Eastern team to quickly gain the lead after scoring 26 points and gaining 17 rebounds; Drew Patten also contributed to the Hawk’s victory with 5 assists.

Although the Hawks turned the ball over three times in the last minute of the game — allowing the Lee Legends to come back — the Legends missed three layups in a row resulting in an extremely narrow win for the Hawks: 64-63.

Throughout the game, the Eastern student section was alive with shouts and cheers. Students gathered in the stands wearing clothes fitting the pajama theme for the night, eagerly encouraging the basketball team. After the incredible win, Eastern’s student section stormed the court, celebrating the narrow win with the team. Senior commentator of the game, Julian Zolenski, described the end of the game stating, “As time wound down, students stormed the court and it was a huge mass of jubilation.”

The excitement doesn’t end here as the Hawks will take on West Michigan Aviation Academy at an away game on December 1st at 7 pm. The anticipation for the outcome of this next game is high, following the nail-biter of a game that took place last night.

Additionally, in other basketball news, the Eastern’s girls’ varsity basketball team will face NorthPointe Christian on December 5th at Eastern’s home gym beginning at 7 pm. This will mark their first game of the season. Make sure to show your support for both the girls’ and boys’ basketball teams by cheering them on as they begin and continue their season!