Homecoming Reminders

Grant_Pauli
Image courtesy of Flickr.

As Homecoming approaches this weekend (Saturday, September 30th), here are some important reminders for all students:

Tickets for this year’s Homecoming are available now at both school lunches for $10, or at the door of the dance for $15. Also, if you are planning on bringing a student from a different school to Eastern’s Homecoming, a form must be filled out after buying their ticket with information such as the other student’s name, school, etc.

On Friday, September 29th, time will be set aside from student’s classes for Homecoming court videos, an assembly, and Powderpuff. The Homecoming court videos are made by each pair of seniors on the Homecoming court, in hopes that they will help students get to know the court members and/or decide on who to vote for Homecoming King and Queen. Voting is open to all grade levels, so make sure to vote at lunch on Friday for Homecoming King and Queen. Note that you do not have to vote for both the girl and boy in the Homecoming pairing; you may instead vote for any girl or boy on the court, regardless if they are partnered together. Later in the afternoon, there will be a Homecoming assembly for all students. This with include activities such as musical chairs and a pie competition; make sure to sign up at lunch to participate in these activities! After the assembly, students will head to the football field where the Powderpuff game will take place. Powderpuff is a flag football game between the junior and senior girls who are coached by the football players of their respective grades; it is a tradition Eastern has upheld for nearly twenty years. It is encouraged that all students are energetic, enthusiastic, and engaged in watching the game, as the more excited the crowd is, the more fun the game will be for everyone. 

The Homecoming football game is at 7 pm on Friday; the theme for the game is color rush. This is a unique theme, as everyone wears white, but at kickoff, students throw colored powder into the air, showering people’s white clothes in a rainbow of colors. Therefore, make sure to arrive at the game early and wear white clothes that you are willing to get colored powder on. During halftime of the game, the Homecoming court will be introduced and ride around the field on the backs of snazzy cars. They then will stand with their partner on the field, waiting for the winners to be announced and crowned. Be sure to show up to support the Hawks and learn the winners of this year’s Homecoming court!

Finally, Saturday, September 30, is the Homecoming dance. The doors to the dance will open at 8 pm. Traditionally, students take pictures and go out to dinner with their friends or dates beforehand. Once at the dance, enter through the main entrance near the office and tell the teacher at the front your name so they may check if you have purchased a ticket yet. In the event that you have not bought a ticket, you may buy one there for $15.

Every year at the dance, rather than actually dancing, there is a tradition in which the students “mosh.” Moshing consists of students jumping around in a compact group as music blares in the background. In order to avoid injuries, all students entering the mosh pit must remove their shoes. Due to this, upperclassmen suggest all students bring socks to wear while moshing. Please do not forget to wear deodorant to the dance; the mosh pit and Great Hall become a steaming hot temperature as everyone is pressed together, so do not be the cause of musty smells.

For those of you who cannot drive yet, do not forget that the dance ends at 10 pm, meaning your ride should be there by 10 pm and no later. Remember the chaperones have to stay until the last student leaves, so please do not make them wait. 

Overall, remember to have fun, enjoy the dance, and behave responsibly!