National Cereal Day: The Wonders of Cereal

Wikimedia+Commons
Wikimedia Commons

As everyone relaxes into their Thursday morning, it is important to know that today is not just any ordinary Thursday morning; instead, March 7 is a day of celebration. Delicious pancakes and waffles, eggs, omelets, sausage, toast, and bacon don’t fill the kitchen air this morning because today is National Cereal Day.

National Cereal Day is a delightful day as it falls at the beginning of March. Appreciate cereal as the delicious taste sparks your tastebuds. But how exactly has cereal developed over the years?

Beginning in 1863, cereal began to be formed. James Caleb Jackson was the man who invented this delicious breakfast, although when he started making it, it was similar to what we know as granola. Taking graham flour dried dough, he broke it into small pieces and served it with milk. From there, this common breakfast has only continued to grow and change over the years as people began to create their own takes on this crunchy breakfast.

Today there are over 1,000 variations of breakfast cereals across the world. Even with so many options available, there are still some popular flavors that have made themselves known over the years. First up is Rice Krispies, which began in Michigan in 1927. This cereal initially became fairly popular for making desserts and treats but later gained popularity in becoming a simple cereal. Now, we have various flavors available to eat, as well as a multitude of delicious recipes to try with this cereal as the crispy base.

Next up is Cheerios. This famous cereal was introduced on May 2, 1941, and originally called, “Cheerioats.” This is because the original taste was a mouth full of wheat and milk. Over time, Cheerios evolved into many likings, bringing life to Apple Cinnamon Cheerios, Honey Nut Cheerios, Blueberry, Cinnamon, Very Berry, Pumpkin Spice, and even Banana Nut Cheerios. One would think that this is enough variety for one cereal brand, but there are even more flavors beyond those listed.

Another cereal on the list is Frosted Flakes. This cereal originated in Minnesota in 1952, as “Sugar Frosted Flakes.” As good as this cereal sounds, they followed Cheerios’ steps with the Banana and Cinnamon flavors, lacking in their originality. However, through the years, they’ve developed into their own iconic taste that we’ve all come to know and love. We can thank Kellogs’ for this amazing cereal.

Additionally, Captain Crunch is another cereal. In 1963, it was introduced as just a wheat flavor, but quickly developed into many flavors such as Crunch Berries, Peanut Butter, and various temporary holiday flavors.

Lastly, 1964 brought in Lucky Charms. This cereal brings a delicious box of wheat with a side of sweets. Continuing to evolve, Lucky Charms has grown to be the slightly sweet wheat cereal with the delectable marshmallows we all know and love.

Overall, Michigan and Minnesota are the top two producers of the delicious breakfast choice cereal. This choice is convenient as it is an easy and quick preparation to start the morning. Nothing is better than a nice cold bowl filled with a delicious treat inside. But cereal is not only meant for the morning; you can also enjoy this for a late-night snack or a lazy dinner. For all of these reasons, make sure to have a bowl of cereal on March 7th to celebrate this food!