A Shocking Win For The Birddogs

Ruth Gleason
The Birddogs celebrate their first goal of the game against East Grand Rapids!

Skates skid across the ice as hockey sticks chase after a sliding puck. East Grand Rapids races behind number three from the North Eastern hockey team, trying to knock away the puck as he nears their goalie. He lines up his shot and shoots. The puck skids past the EGR goalie and scores! Soon Brady Lebeau (’25) is surrounded by his Birddog teammates, as they celebrate their first point of the game against East Grand Rapids.

The game on Saturday began with seniors and parents lined up in the rink, taking photos and giving congratulations as it was senior night. Following this, Noor Hassan (’25) from Eastern performed, singing the national anthem before teams lined up for the face-off. EGR quickly gained the puck and managed to score the first goal of the game within the first few minutes on the ice. Unfortunately for them, it would be their only goal.

The game was fast-paced and exciting, with both teams putting up an outstanding performance of defense and offense. However, the Birddogs managed to pull through and win 2-1, a surprising finish as the last time they played EGR they had lost 1-8. While the action remained on the FHNE side of the rink, the Birddogs held off the Pioneers, as over 20 shots at the goal were attempted. Owen Howe (’25) from Northern, demonstrated an impressive job as the goalie by refusing to relent any space for a goal.

Aaron Goldman and the rest of the team celebrate their winning goal, solidifying their win with a score of 2-1. (Ruth Gleason)

The second and winning goal for the Birddogs was scored by senior Aaron Goldman, the first goal of his time on the team. This came as a shocking point due to him being primarily a defensive player. For the remainder of the game, EGR was desperate to tie up the game, however, their wishes would remain unfulfilled as the Birddogs held out against them.

For the majority of the game, although no goals were made, the action did not lack. With teammates shouting from the box to both teams, the audience shouting encouragement from the stands, and coaches yelling out commands to players, there was not a quiet moment on the rink.

The Birddogs celebrate their win against East Grand Rapids. (Ruth Gleason)

By the end of the game, with the Birddogs in possession of the puck, they simply let the time run out, listening to the cheers from the stands. Once the final buzzer went off, the North Eastern team flooded the rink, piling up against the glass as the fans eagerly banged against the barrier from the other side.

Throughout this year’s hockey season, the win-and-loss ratio has been rather even for the Birddogs. However, with this new success against East Grand Rapids, the rest of the season is looking more optimistic. If you would like to show support and cheer on the Birddogs, be sure to show up to their next game this Wednesday, January 23, at 6 pm against Grand Haven!