Hawk Herald

The Student News Site of Forest Hills Eastern High School

Hawk Herald

Hawk Herald

Kick Off Your New Years, “Anyone But You”

Image courtesy of The Direct.

What is better than starting a new year with a new movie? Anyone But You is a romantic comedy film released in 2023 that tells the story of a young woman named Bea, starred by Syndey Sweeny.

Spoilers Below

This film begins with Bea presented as a young woman who has no idea who she is or wants to be. In short, she’s portrayed as a disaster who later falls in love at first sight. While desperately rushing into a coffee shop to use the restroom, Bea finds out that it’s only available to customers, forcing her to buy something. Luckily, she bumps into the man of her dreams who buys her a coffee and presents her as his wife to the barista.

Immediately at the beginning of the movie, it presents its rom-com, which is one factor that is what makes this movie so great. Throughout this movie, it leaves a great impression. Bea goes on to spend the night with the guy from the coffee shop, Ben, who is played by Glen Powell. But then things take a turn in the morning. Bea had recently taken a break from her previous boyfriend, Jonathon, played by Darren Barnet, and now believes she has found the one for her in Ben. However, after the night with Ben, Bea leaves in the morning without saying anything. Now confused with her actions, Bea returns to Ben’s house to tell him how she feels about him just to overhear him in a conversation explaining his hatred for her. She so leaves, heartbroken. But then, while the two are later together, Ben expresses his love for her and even tells her a sentimental story that he’s never told anyone before.

With miscommunication and tensions rising, the two part ways. This rom-com is not over yet though. Once again, these two come together under not-so-good circumstances. After seeing each other at a mutual wedding underway, will it be a disaster for them? Or will they be able to rekindle their lost love? 

During the film, it leaves an intense emotion of wanting these two to be together, but the on-and-off love-hate relationship causes an entertaining plot. Throughout these two, the comedy and love flow. Overall this movie is a great new movie to start your new year off, enjoy a nice rom-com with friends or family because there isn’t anyone but you to watch such an amazing movie.