Exam Tips

Exam+Tips

We are nearing the end of the semester Hawks, and with exams just around the corner, it seemed fitting to give some pro tips from the upperclassmen on preparing for and taking exams. So, without further ado, here are eight important tips for exam season.

Start reviewing early! 

You have learned a lot throughout the semester, and now with only a few weeks to review, it can quickly become overwhelming. If you begin early though, managing your time and content becomes easier, while also securing you more time to memorize. If you start reviewing early, you will also have time to ask your teachers any questions you have before the day of the exam and you will be less stressed the night before your exams.

Do the review guides! 

Your teachers give them to you for a reason; they are meant to help you and will likely cover most, if not all, of the content on the exam. Review guides are the easiest way to organize your review so that you make sure to hit every concept you will need to know. Or, if you would like additional review, you can either make your own guide through methods such as the “Blurt” method. This involves writing all of the information you know about one topic on a piece of paper before going over it and filling in areas you are uncertain of. Another easy review tactic is using videos on YouTube or Quizlet.

Try using the exam grade calculator. 

Just search “exam grade calculator;” once you put in your current grade percentage in the class, the percentage your exam is worth (15%), and what grade you are hoping to get in the class, this tells you what score you will have to get on the exam to achieve your target grade. Once you know what you have to get on the exam, you can determine how much you will have to review before the exam.

Do not stay up late the night before your exam.

Getting a good night’s sleep is essential to doing well on the exam. No amount of studying the night before will help you if you are too tired to focus on the exam. Try to start going to bed a little earlier on the nights leading up to the exam, that way when the final night comes, it will feel more natural.

Fuel yourself on exam day! 

A healthy body equals a healthy mind, so make sure to fuel up before your exam. If not for anything else, then eat breakfast so that your stomach doesn’t rumble during the silence of your exam. Studies show that eating protein and carbs before a test can help boost concentration. Opt for a simple breakfast such as eggs, toast, or pancakes! Be sure to also bring a snack for in between your exams. Additionally, water is crucial for your mind to focus and function. Bring a water bottle to have during the exam, and drink plenty of water beforehand.

While taking your exam, if you do not know the answer to a question, skip it and go to the next one. 

You can come back to the question you were unsure about later, but you do not want to waste time thinking about a question you don’t know the answer to. The longer you stare at a question, the less likely you are to be able to figure it out. Maybe when you come back to the question you will remember how to answer it, or a similar topic elsewhere on the exam will jog your memory. But even if you come back later and can’t remember how to answer, then simply guess. A guess gives you a better chance of getting the correct answer rather than no answer at all.

For next semester, try to keep a good grade before exam season. 

This alleviates some of the pressure while taking your exam because there is more margin of error to keep a good grade. Maintaining a good grade throughout the semester can take a large load of stress off your shoulders, as you do not have to strive for an impossible grade on your final exam.

And most importantly, do not overly stress about it. 

If you put in the effort to review, you will be perfectly fine when it comes to your exam. As long as you try your best, regardless of the outcome, things will be ok.

Good luck at exams Hawks! The Hawk Herald staff wishes everyone success!