Hawk Herald

The Student News Site of Forest Hills Eastern High School

Hawk Herald

Hawk Herald

National Pie Day

Bakes by Brown Sugar

With December officially here, the air is beginning to freeze and snowy weather is rolling in to coat the cold ground. With this new chilly weather, people are beginning to spend more time inside, enjoying the warmth and comfort of their homes. Toasty mugs of hot chocolate, freshly baked goods, and holiday decorations are springing up. December brings joy this time of year as various holidays and celebrations are common and upcoming. As this excitement begins to build, December starts strong with National Pie Day on December 1. This dessert is beloved and even has two days dedicated to this national day. It begins the year on January 23 and comes up once more on December 1.

National Pie Day is a great day to celebrate; What’s better than starting the cold, white, breezy time of year with a freshly baked pie, whether it be homemade or storebought? There are many different ways to make a pie, along with several flavors. As you fall into the winter spirit, you should try out some new pie flavors and recipes. Here are some great pies to try as well as some local places in Grand Rapids where pie is available. 

As well as the basics of the well-known pies, there are many other delicious flavors to indulge in. One of the first pies to be made was a honey-filled cake made from either oats, rye, or wheat. From there, pie has made its way through history by improving and increasing the amount of flavors available. Here are twenty-one delicious freshly made pies and their origins.

Starting with the United States’ most loved pie, the apple pie originated in England and gives us the taste of fresh apples, with a hint of cinnamon and a buttery crust that will tingle your taste buds. This pie can be made with a variety of apple types, giving people multiple ways to enjoy variations of this classic.

Another popular pie is pumpkin pie. Once again originating in England, this pie is one of the most well-known pies served at holiday gatherings. It embodies a new world of pumpkin filling with a custard-like texture and a taste of nutmeg. It can be served with whipped cream or ice cream for some extra enjoyment.

Yet another popular pie is the cherry pie. With its creation in England, it is believed to have been made for Queen Elizabeth. Cherry pie brings in another level of pie flavors. Unlike other types such as apple or pumpkin, cherry pie is made to be slightly sour and tart, giving it a distinct and unique flavor.

With the various tastes and ingredients available for pie making, the list of pies only continues to grow. Lemon meringue pie, sugar creme pie, cheesecake, rhubarb pie, sweet potato pie, peach pie, coconut cream pie, strawberry pie, blackberry pie, blueberry pie, French silk pie, and key lime pie are just a few of the hundreds of options. Ranging from sweet to savory, pie embodies an endless ability to adapt to new flavors. Pie is overall an amazing dish that is enjoyed worldwide. Make sure to take some time to appreciate this delectable dessert this December by having a tasty treat on December 1!