Decisive Dominence: Michigan Tops Ohio State…Again

Michigan+Huddled+Up.+
Ken Lund
Michigan Huddled Up.

Sheets of noise ring through the “Big House” as thousands of screaming fans pour onto the field. A crisp day in Ann Arbor as the sun peaks behind clouds creates a forebodingly cold day, making for the perfect setting for the game. “Hail To The Victors” rings across the speakers as a sea of fans move shoulder to shoulder; pure jubilation and ecstasy are painted on each and every one of their faces. This was the scene as the day unfolded for Michigan fans, who found themselves defeating their most hated rival once again, Ohio State, beating the Buckeyes 30-24. 

Beating Ohio State is no easy task for any team, Head Coach Ryan Day has led the Buckeyes 56-7, but only 1-3 against Michigan. That’s also 0-3 in his last three tries, making it a dominant stint for a Wolverines team that has been embattled with adversity all year. Head Coach Jim Harbaugh was serving the final game of his second three-game suspension of the year. The first time was due to the first three games of the season regarding recruiting violations during the “Covid Dead” period.  This second time was for something that has been much more publicized as Michigan has been embroiled in a sign-stealing scandal involving formal offensive analyst Conner Stallions. With storylines galore and both teams being ranked number 2 and 3 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings, this was one of the most anticipated games in the series. 

Despite the scrutiny surrounding Michigan, Interim Head Coach Sherrone Moore has been nonetheless impressive in his three-game stint as head coach, which was demonstrated by their aggressive game plan on Saturday. Offensively, Michigan never looked flustered, with an early touchdown by star running back Blake Corum. This was also combined with quarterback J.J McCarthy being calm and collected in the pocket throughout the game, including throwing a touchdown pass to put the Wolverines up 14-3. Ohio State always seemed to be one step behind, trailing for most of the game. Ohio’s Star Wide Receiver Marvin Harrison Jr. had his moments with their quarterback Kyle McCord delivering some beautiful balls. However, Michigan was able to diagnose Ohio State’s offense enough to come out on top. This would show on the final play of the game as a hurried pass by Ohio’s McCord would end up in the hands of Michigan’s Rod Moore, making a diving interception that would seal it for Michigan. 

The game delivered once again, but once again it ended with a Michigan victory, providing and shedding even more light on how resilient this team has been. Through adversity, each man seems to step up at the right moment, making it clear that they are as unbeatable as ever going into the most important time of the season. As for Ohio State, it leaves a question on whether their season will continue in the College Football Playoff and leaves seven more questions than answers for Ryan Day and the Buckeyes.