Hawk Herald

The Student News Site of Forest Hills Eastern High School

Hawk Herald

Hawk Herald

The Sphere: Opening Night in Las Vegas

The sphere lights up Las Vegas with its moon projection. Image courtesy of Flickr.

After its official opening on September 29, the Sphere in Las Vegas has been a popular attraction. According to the Las Vegas Review, this new construction is the largest spherical building in the world, costing over $2.3 billion and standing at 366 ft tall with a total area of 875,000 sq ft. It seats over 18,500 people and includes haptic technology for an immersive performance.

Construction for the Sphere began in 2019, with its original debut date planned for sometime in 2021. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, construction was delayed, and the opening day was postponed until 2023. While there were several initial concerns from people in the area about it being an eyesore, those opinions quickly dissipated after the capacities of the Sphere were demonstrated.

To power its iconic spherical screen on the outside, over 1.2 million LED lights are used to create the illusion. From far away, these lights help project images such as an eye, pumpkin, emoji, and more. Images can filter, allowing the Sphere to rotate its projections.

A realistic projection in the Sphere during U2’s performance. Image courtesy of @matornetwork / Instagram

With how prominent the Sphere is, it’s inevitable that advertising will take place. Although not confirmed with Sphere, speculations and rumors of advertising price leaks have been floating around on the internet. Some claim that one day of advertising on the Sphere costs $450,000, and if that is to be extended for a week, then $650,000. With the cost of construction being so high, this advertising cost seems reasonable in order for the company MSG to break even in 14 years.

Aside from advertising costs, ticket prices to experience a performance in the Sphere seem to be even more reasonable. U2 was the opening concert for the Sphere, performing just the day after its opening. The concert sold out within its presale, forcing Ticketmaster to scrap its general ticket sale. Initial prices for the concert ranged from $150-$400, however, resold tickets had prices upward from $800 to over $1000.

While resold tickets were extremely expensive, people claim that the original sticker price was well worth it for experiencing the concert. With the Sphere standing 366 ft tall, the ceiling inside overarches the entire audience, immersing them into an unparalleled experience. The screens inside span over 160,000 sq ft, using pixels instead of the outdoor LED lights, to give a flawless projection. Many venues that artists perform at are not constructed for an immersive sound experience, yet that is exactly why the Sphere was constructed. Designed with the idea of hosting concerts and other musical entertainment, the Sphere includes 164,300 sound channels, which is about 8 channels per person, creating a headset sound experience for each attendee. 

U2 performs for their 3rd night in the Sphere. Image courtesy of @spherevegas / Instagram

Seeing its popularity spring up in the States, the construction of another Sphere in London has become a topic of debate. However, many of the local residents vehemently oppose this, worried about the light pollution and overwhelming tourism this will attract.

Despite some people’s concerns, the Sphere in Las Vegas appears to be a hit, and although the Sphere has only opened recently, it’s clear that this attraction will be one of the most exciting venues to host entertainment in.