The First Snow

This last Monday, December 18th, marked the first impressive snowfall of December 2023 and Eastern students could not have been more excited! Not only was this the first notable snowfall of the school year, but it was also a beautiful sight to behold. The snow came down in large flakes and landed as perfect packing snow for snowballs and building snowmen. Although the snowfall began in a thick, blizzard-like state, it ultimately died down to light flurries sprinkling across the sky later in the day.

Unfortunately, many students were unable to enjoy the beauty of the snowfall first-hand due to having to remain in school. However, they were able to admire the wintery wonder through the windows. Luckily, the cold temperatures remained throughout the day, giving students plenty of opportunity after school to experience the frigidness that is a Michigan winter.

The first snowfall led students to look forward to the upcoming winter break and spread their hopes for a white Christmas and snowy break; although we all hope to avoid snow days for this week due to exams. Despite receiving a fair amount of snow today, it appears that we will not be having a white Christmas this year, however, as it’s predicted to be a low of 45 degrees on Monday the 25th, leaving no room for the snow to stay. Although the weathermen do not predict snow on Christmas, we encourage everyone to continue dreaming and wishing for a Christmas with snow, as it will hardly feel like a true Christmas without a fluffy blanket of white snow atop every lawn and decoration. 

Although we may not be receiving any snow on Christmas, there is a chance we will experience more snowfall later during winter break. With more snow, students would have the opportunity to enjoy fun winter activities such as sledding, building snowmen, ice skating (possibly at Rosa Park’s Circle), snowball fights, and many other delightfully chilly activities. While there is plenty of fun to be had outside in the cold, make sure to keep warm and toasty with plenty of hot chocolate and possibly a seat by the fireside this winter break!